Saturday, January 7, 2012

Rejoicing in what is worth rejoicing in

What do I rejoice and find my joy in? This is a question I was pondering this morning and the following is mostly a paraphrase of my journal entry this morning.

I need to find my joy in Christ and His salvation. It is too easy to be distracted and find my happiness in other things. Whether its my girlfriend, hockey, family, a job or any other variety of activities and interests I tend too often to find my contentment in them. But this is wrong. There is only one thing that can bring me the deepest, longest lasting joy and that is what Christ did for me on the Cross.  Not that enjoying those other things I mentioned are wrong in any way, but they should always be viewed in light of Gods grace and forgiveness. Indeed when I take those earthly pleasures and hold them in the over reaching greatness of Christs love for me and subject them to Gods will for my life I find an even deeper and pure joy in them.
And this belief of holding salvation as the root of my contentment is all the more evident when these earthly things aren't bringing me joy or are actually bringing me sorrow.  When I find my hope, joy, and peace in the finished work of the Cross nothing can shake the deep seeded peace in my heart.  Tears may fall, my heart may ache, bones may break, relationships may end, but salvation is mine eternally. These earthly things can never add or detract from the heavenly things promised me. This is where I find my joy and rejoicing.

This thought stemmed from Luke 10 where Christ appointed 72 men to go out and teach and cast out demons and heal the sick. When they returned they were rejoicing, being amazed that they were able to cast out demons. Christs response is truly remarkable to me. Instead of saying "Good job" or patting them on the back for a job well done He brings the focus back to salvation.
Luke 10:20 "Nevertheless, do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven."
Now I haven't cast out any demons recently, but yet I still find myself rejoicing in things other than my salvation. How much more I should focus on Him and His free gift!

So if you are content and find joy in your life, rejoice even more in Gods forgiveness and love. And if you are hurting and at a loss for happiness, find comfort, peace and hope in the deep joy of Christs redemptive work on the Cross for you.

I will glory in my Redeemer,
Travis

3 comments:

  1. Well said! Maybe you should pursue a writing career:) It is so good to be reminded of simple truths that make all the difference.

    Kendra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Enjoyed reading this!

    ReplyDelete